SQL Server 2012 Full-Text search and XML Search - the Wiki project

Finally, here are some results from the Wiki project.

After a few days of development, here is the accounting for the wiki project:

Desktop PC with 8Gb RAM, single home use HDD
SQL Server 2012, using XML and Full-Text search
the total amount of data to be imported: 39.2 GB
the original XML files had to be sliced in 150Mb

Continue reading […] SQL Server 2012 Full-Text search and XML Search – the Wiki project […]

 

Azure vs. inhouse SQL Server - the Wiki project - performance tuning

In my earlier blog post I wrote about setting up the WikiDB database and importing the files.

Initially I was inclined to import the XML files as they came – the files had different sizes ranging from 140 Mb to 7 Gb.

I managed to import the first 12 files, and thought I would stop there.

But on

Continue reading […] Azure vs. inhouse SQL Server – the Wiki project – performance tuning […]

 

My laptop is faster than SQL Azure, latency part 3

Some time back a former colleague of mine posted a blog about the poor performance of SQL Azure databases.

At the time the blog post created a big splash, and quite a few people were debating it and were unhappy about it.

The reality is that things have not changed much since then (the original blog post

Continue reading […] My laptop is faster than SQL Azure, latency part 3 […]